Hiraeth


It was a new day. I opened my eyes as the sun's golden rays made their way through my bedroom's diaphonus curtains. I got up and walked to my window, opening it and allowing the spring's breeze in. I stood there, silent, serene, allowing the soft wind to brush by my face. A few moments later, a cold puff of air passed by, and for a brief moment, my mind reminded me of the cold winter days, the last winter I spent in London before I finished my studies and came back here. I remember the rainy days I spent at my favorite coffeeshop looking out the window and sipping on my hot chocolate, and I remember the days I spent out in the snow running around and making snowballs all day long, and New Year's Eve when I'd stay up all night out in the streets, breathing in the cold London air. But what I also remember is who I made these memories with, and I don't know what warmed me up at that coffeeshop, was it the hot chocolate or was it your presence? Was it running and playing in the snow, or was it being there with you that made me feel over the moon? Was New Year's Eve really what kept me up all night? Because I know that it was your smile, your cold hand entertwined with mine and the warmth you put in my heart that made me never want to go home, even though when I did, you still stayed up in my mind. And you still are, and no sun's warmth could ever come close to yours, and how you made me feel. They say hiraeth is homesickness to a home that no longer exists, a home you can't go back to, so tell me, honey, is it the London bliss, or your ethereal love that I'm missing?