Codependency Shrinks



When I was a child, I was lost in others.

I neglected my needs, my values, my ideas and my feelings.

They came secondary as if nobody told me I deserved to live too.

I grew up and my codependency stuck with me like a childhood friend.

Every word, every look, every breath affected and broke me.

I told my friend "I like being kind,” but kindness isn't letting people step over me.

How come I'm so wise and simultaneously a baby?

I left little parts of myself in everyone I've met, and they haven't always been treated with care or respect.

Codependency makes me shrink, and when I dare to grow, it fills me with fear and guilt.

If I dare make a mistake, the effect echoes for days. Embarrassment makes it hard to be.

Now I've realized I exist too.

I'm gathering all the pieces I've recklessly given away. They're mine again and they're home.

I am full, I am complete, I am whole.

I will make mistakes, I will speak my truth, I will embody my beliefs.

And when codependency creeps on me, tells me I'm too big and lies to me.

I will come back to myself, again and again. We will comfort me.