The Power of Time



It's my last day here, tomorrow I'll move to my college dorm. I'm not homesick, or yet I don't know. I just need to be in my room for a while. It's 2 am, everyone is sleeping, I remembered my old books so I went to take a look at them, to see if I need to take any of them with me. While I was checking them, I found a yellow book with a lock, I immediately remembered that this was my diary! I took it and jumped on my bed. I turned the lights on and decided to start reading.

The very first pages talked about Emily (my ex-best friend). I talked a lot about her about how much she meant to me. I took a look at the date, 8/8/2012, that was 8 years ago! I was 10 years old. I noticed a long page so I started reading it.

"Today, Emily, my very best friend gave me a toy because we have been friends for 5 years! It's so cute I love it."

I didn't really remember much about that doll so I just kept going through pages. My attention was caught by my angry writing on a page so I decided to take a look at it.

"5/4/2014. Today my mom accidentally broke the toy Emily gave me! She didn't mean to I know but I'm just so sad!! I decided to keep the toy under my bed so I can remember Emily as I grow up!"
Now I remember, I remember that day as if it was yesterday. I loved that toy! I remember crying for hours because it broke! I decided to keep reading more pages. I randomly chose a page and decided to start reading.

"7/12/ 2016. Today, I was showing my friends at school my writings. Most of them liked them and encouraged me to keep going, but Karma, the popular girl, and her friends told me my writings just didn't make sense and that I should just stop writing. I'm so sad! I think I'll never write again. Maybe they're right." I remember this day...I remember how sad I was, even though most of my friends told me they liked my writings, Karma and her friends' words just hurt me so much. I closed my diary and decided to take it with me.

I remembered that I wrote that I kept the doll Emily gave me under my bed, I started looking for it till I found it. I grabbed it and looked at it. Still beautiful, glue marks on it since my mom was trying to fix it for me so I could stop crying. Emily and I aren't friends anymore. Well, nothing really happened, we just drifted. We used to talk every day, then we talked every once in a while, then we barley met, then we only texted for birthday wishes and now we don't even remember our birthdays.

I'm not sad, I know it's neither of our faults. I remembered how hard I cried because the toy broke, but I didn't shed a tear when she didn't text me for my birthday. I remembered how I stopped writing for 2 years because of Karma and her friends' words, but now I'm a famous writer. I took a moment to appreciate how time changes us. How strong I've become and how long it took. If I had believed Karma and her friends, I would have never published my very first book. If the drifting of me and Emily's friendship broke me, I would have never had those great best friends now! When I was younger. Lots of things affected my personality. But as I grew up, I understood that time teaches me that "the original me" is the best version of me, not the version that the society wants to make it. I looked at my mirror, all those packed boxes around me. I feel proud, I feel thankful and mostly, I feel thankful for time. I went back to my bed, to get rest so I can enjoy my last day here appreciating how far I've come.

During our life, we get scars, some of them we think will never heal. But time always proves us wrong.

"Time makes us stronger, time makes us better." 

I believe that time just shows us how strong and beautiful we are. It's all about time.