Interviews W/ Imaginary Artists #1: Mariam, 23 y/o, Egypt





I'm thrilled to be sitting down for an exclusive interview with the rising alt-artist, Mariam, a fearless and boundary-pushing force in the Egyptian music scene. Mariam exudes effortless cool, with a striking androgynous look and a bold fashion sense that reflects her artistry. She greets me with a warm smile and a confident, relaxed demeanor that belies her fierce determination to make her mark on the world. Mariam's presence is magnetic, and it's clear from the start that she's someone to watch closely in the years to come.


sugarfreetalks: Mariam, it's great to have you here with us today. Let's start by talking about your style. How would you describe your aesthetic, and how does it reflect your music?


Mariam: Thank you for having me! My style is definitely a big part of who I am as an artist. I would say it's a mix of vintage rock-and-roll and modern streetwear, with a touch of androgyny thrown in. I love experimenting with different textures and silhouettes, and I'm not afraid to take risks or push boundaries. I think my style reflects my music in that both are about breaking down barriers and expressing myself authentically, without worrying about fitting into any particular mold.


sugarfreetalks: That's really interesting. Can you tell us a bit more about your music and what inspires you?


Mariam: Sure! I would describe my music as a fusion of different genres, including rock, hip-hop, and electronic music. I'm inspired by a lot of different things, but I think the common thread is a sense of rebellion and a desire to challenge the status quo. I grew up in a conservative society that didn't always value individuality or creativity, so I think a lot of my music is about pushing back against that and carving out my own path. I'm also inspired by other artists who are unafraid to be themselves and speak their truth, regardless of what anyone else thinks.


sugarfreetalks: That's really powerful. You've been making waves in the Egyptian music scene lately. How do you hope to impact the industry, and what do you hope people take away from your music?


Mariam: I hope that my music can inspire people to be more open-minded and accepting of others, and to embrace their own unique identities. I also hope to help pave the way for other artists who feel like they don't fit in or don't have a place in the industry. I believe that everyone has something valuable to contribute, and I want to use my platform to amplify diverse voices and perspectives. Ultimately, I just hope that my music can bring people together and create a sense of community and belonging.

sugarfreetalks: That's a really beautiful sentiment. Can you tell us about any upcoming projects or collaborations you have in the works?


Mariam: Yes, I'm actually working on a new EP right now that I'm really excited about. It's going to be a departure from my previous work in some ways, but it's still very much me. I'm also collaborating with some other artists on a few different projects, including a music video and a virtual concert. It's been amazing to work with other creatives who share my vision and my passion for pushing boundaries.


sugarfreetalks: That sounds incredible. What advice would you give to other young artists who are trying to find their own voice and make a name for themselves?


Mariam: I would say to stay true to yourself and your vision, no matter what. It can be really tempting to try to fit in or make music that you think other people will like, but I think the most powerful art comes from a place of authenticity. It's also important to surround yourself with people who support you and believe in you, and to be patient with yourself and your process. Making art is a journey, and it's okay to take your time and figure things out as you go.


sugarfreetalks: That's great advice. Finally, what's next for Mariam? Where do you see yourself in five years?


Mariam: In five years, I hope to have released multiple albums and toured all over the world. I also hope to have used my platform to advocate for social justice issues and to make a positive impact on the world. Ultimately, I just want to keep making music that speaks to people and inspires them to be their best selves.


sugarfreetalks: Well, we have no doubt that you'll achieve all of that and more. Thank you so much for speaking with us today, Mariam.


Mariam: Thank you for having me! It's been amazing to share my story with your readers.