Family by Love not by Blood



I hate Christmas.

I walk through the lights of the city with my head down. Children screech next to their parents with joy, hurrying them to go home and open their presents. To my right were two workers who are setting up a tree with young teens adding ornaments of their choice. A couple of families stand by and take pictures, I grimace.

I enter Walmart, completely blaming myself for not buying cat food earlier for Mickey. Now I'm completely surrounded by annoying families buying last minute gifts and lots of traffic. I pick out Mickey's favourite dry food and grab some hot cheerios for myself. After a long line, I add my things to the counter and start fumbling with my pockets.

"Oh, no no no." I search for my wallet in my pockets. Disappointed, I sigh and cover my face with my hand. "Damn it."

"Hey, I can pay for that. Yo Jackie, add this dude's stuff to mine, it's on me."

I glance behind me and notice a guy probably in his early twenties. I take a look at his groceries.

6 Oreo boxes, 3 Pepsi cans and a concerning amount of hair gel.

He looks back at me, "Oh, come on, slid back hair is the shit right now. It's Adam, by the way."

I grab my groceries as the cashier finishes ringing up our stuff and give the guy a confused look.

"Thanks? I really didn't want to wait through the line again." I said, " I'm Rick, by the way."

I glance again at his groceries. No kids' toys. No expensive nor cheap gifts. No gift cards.

"You don't look like a guy celebrating Christmas. Unless that insane amount of hair gel is meant as gifts for your family," I point out. He laughes.

"Nah nah, my kid's with his mom right now."

"You’re divorced?"

"Yeah. Thank god." We both chuckle.

"What about you?" He asks.

"Eh, my family's kind of being a supreme bitch right now."

He unlocks his car. "Yeah, I can understand that."

Adam starts loading his bags into his car. I scratch the back of my head.

"So, uh, nice meeting you dude." I lift up my groceries, "And thanks for these."

"Hey wait up!" He turns around, "you know it's kinda depressing spending this holiday alone. You know, ‘cause it's all about loved ones and yada yada. Wanna hang back at my place? I promise I won't attack you with my 'insane amount of hair gel'."

I laugh and give it some thought.

"Yeah. Yeah, that would be nice."

Adam smiles.

"I guess it's Merry Christmas then.”