Trapped



It was a dark room full of scratches all over the wall and a pool of blood replacing the floor and the ceiling covered in pictures of people who I've known before. I looked around until I found a blue locked door and it's key was on the floor.

“Open the door” I heard someone say. Was it a demon? An angel? Or was I hearing things?

I listened to it and walked towards the door, step by step. I felt fear being planted in my heart, but something told me that I would find my way out when I passed through that door. As I got closer the door's color kept changing from blue to green to yellow to red. Maybe it was just my hallucinations, or maybe it was the truth.

I picked up the key and opened the door, as it opened I saw a bright light, nearly turning me blind. A smile was immediately drawn on my face, thinking it is the light of the outer world. The second the door closed, it vanished into thin air. The light in the room started to fade away, when it was gone, all that was left was a palm tree. Or that was what I thought I saw, since that I was standing far away. I walked towards the tree and realized it wasn't palm, it was different kinds of limes. A lime fell down and I heard the same voice again screaming in my ears.

“Eat it. Eat it now.”

I picked it up and took a bite. It was as sweet as honey and as salty as seawater. In a blink of an eye, everything around me disappeared, even the lime in my hand. I found myself standing in the middle of a sea, but the height of the water didn't even reach my knee. I kept moving around, hoping that I might find the shore. Then I heard voices screaming.

“Help. Help me, I am right here.”

Many voices kept repeating these words, I couldn't figure out who they were. My pulse started to race and my hands started to shake. I tried to concentrate on the voices now screaming my name. Suddenly their faces started to appear, one by one. They were my family, my friends, the people I loved and lost.

“Choose one of them to keep alive, be wise, choose one and you'll find your way out, choose one and it all would go back to that night,” someone whispered in my ears. As I swam towards my brother he drowned. As I reached for my mom, she got swallowed by the water. And the same happened to every person I tried to save. Until I saw a clone of me.

“You're only here because of the mistakes of your past, you're now in a maze of your own memories, try to find your way out. If you don't solve this, you'll forever be trapped in your own mind.” It said.

Without a warning, the sea started to evaporate, in the vapor was a foggy image of all the people I've ever known combined. It all felt like my mind was playing games on me. Noises were now heard, I feel like there is a poltergeist surrounding me. Then I heard a familiar voice.

“WAKE UP, WAKE UP!” The voice cried.

The voice snapped me out of my dream, realizing I was asleep. It was a horrendous, vague, and strange dream which felt like, a prison I'd never escape. It needs a lot of work and courage to be able to face your past and all your memories, the people you've lost, and the ones you miss the most. If you're not ready, you'd never be able to resist the pain and the confusion. Your dreams will turn into nightmares, your life will turn out to be hell. The past will forever haunt us. As it was once said, “Memories is man's greatest friend and worst enemy.”