The Unraveling Mystery of Books




It all started with, “once upon a time.

I fell in love with three words and a vowel that helped me become who I am. Unlike any other kid who would see books and neglect them just because they seem boring, I saw books as a mysterious treasure. It captivates me how everyday folk-talks and someone’s life would be the book I would be reading. Even your life and experiences could be the book in someone’s hands in at some point in time.

How about picking up one of Jane Austen’s novels, crying your eyes out, barely grappling with your emotional fallouts. I, personally, would recommend Sense and Sensibility by her; imagine the life of a mother with three daughters, after the father passed away, leaving the family’s finances crippled, while she watches her daughters strive for love. Well, the Dashwoods will take you on a journey of consequences glimmered with bits of happy moments.

Maybe even grab a Dickens masterpiece, like Oliver Twist, and indulge in Oliver’s painful journey as a child who struggles to find food and shelter, is mistreated, and trained to be a pickpocket because -no matter how hard he tried- poverty always lead to crime, in a world where the poor are unseen and unheard.

I love how stories used to amaze me as a child, only God knows how much I wished for Aladdin’s magic lamp that’ll guarantee me all of my childhood wishes, or even have a magic carpet and be the coolest kid on the block!

What about Cinderella? A beautiful girl mistreated by her stepmother, had chores 24/7, and her stepsisters treated her as inferior to them. Doesn’t this seem like a portrayal of problems that exist in our modern-day? A societal issue that many young victims face as a consequence of their parents’ mistake?

You know what? I feel that every human being has experienced a time in their life where they needed to read a self-help book so they can ass up and get right onto their feet, and that’s where Mark Manson slaps you in the face with The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck, a masterpiece where there’s nothing but real talk. Of course, it’s up to you whether you agree or disagree with him on some points, but many things will definitely strike you. I almost forget that books are portals to a world where all subjects are addressed.

TW // MENTIONS OF RAPE
Do you remember that rape case you read about on Facebook and knew that it is unimaginable to understand what rape victims go through and feel? That’s where Laurie Penny kicks in with her call-to-action-against-rape-culture book Unspeakable Things, and trust me when I say that the title speaks for itself.

Books are legendary; from religious, historical and narrative topics, to animatic, linguistic and documentary, any topic you can think of exists in the form of a book.

Remember to always strive for being a cultured human with knowledge, ignorance is a brutal thunder, and it’s only the rain that makes it bearable to us.