Dune (2021) - Review




Last week, a friend sent me some videos of George Meilles' silent films and, while watching them for the first time, I felt a bit emotional seeing the very early days of cinema, where people were creating things they could only imagine and feeling excited about it, having found a new way of creating art with all its endless possibilities. To me, that's what cinema is; the creation of new stories that take us to different realms of imagination and show us things we've never seen before.

I've always been very fond of movies that don't focus on the plot as much as the universe it takes place in because I see movies as a plane ticket for my mind to go to a whole different place.

Dune is like a time machine that takes you 8,000 years into the future in a place far away in space, yet it doesn't feel much like fantasy. There are no funny space wizards (only creepy witches), laser swords, nor infinity stones, just politics, desert, and spice.


The world of Dune is beautiful in the way it is crafted. In every particle of sand lies a vision, in the spice floating all around lie many stories and, underneath all that, gigantic sandworms ready to swallow anyone unlucky enough to bring them to their path.

Every scene of Dune shows us something completely new in this world; a new piece of technology or an idea and, like Paul Atreides' visions, it all feels like a lucid dream, a very real one. Despite its slow pace, there was never a moment where I wasn't in awe at this beautiful and brutal world I was witnessing. I would never want to live in it, but I sure did love watching it.


Everything about Dune was great, from Hans Zimmer's (excuse the redundant word) epic score capturing the epic (that's two) scale of this story, to the cast's incredible talent of bringing this world to life, and Denis Villeneuve's incredible vision of this story. It's a great adaptation of what I am sure is a great novel.

Even if it has a sense of dullness at some points, it feels just right for the story. To me, Dune is everything cinema should be; constant reach for what's beyond the boundaries of our dreams and imagination.

I can't wait to revisit this world again and again, and I absolutely cannot wait for part 2.

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer"