art, love and photography

For the past couple of years, one thing I’ve always wanted to do was to visit an art gallery, and as I got into photography it changed from simply “wanting to look at art” to “wanting to make art,” but an obstacle I’ve always faced was that I didn’t know where to look. Sure, I can take photographs anywhere, but I can’t make art of art just anywhere, and I couldn’t find art galleries or exhibitions near me.


In case you didn’t know, I’m an architectural engineering major, I didn’t really want to major in engineering at all, but due to circumstances I had to, and though I knew nothing of the departments, as soon as I realised the artistic side of architecture, I chose it at the drop of a hat. Studying architecture also meant studying art and seeing art and drawing art, and so I used that opportunity to practice my own form of art; photography.

The Opera House. This place is a zone of pure art. Wherever you go there are statues, exhibitions and whatnot, but most importantly, there’s love.


I’ve always loved art and photography, but with every love story, the love might die with time, or rather take some rest, and with the pressure of my first semester in university, my trip to The Opera House was literally what I needed to revive my love for the arts.

I didn’t only revive my love; I fell in love all over again. Being surrounded by the works of the greats and having the opportunity to make my own art out of them by being allowed to photograph whatever I want just put me in a state of mind that I needed to be put in. It turned from “just another uni assignment” to “a place where I learned how to love again,” a place where I would like to go to every once in a while to revive my love and practice my art and grow as a person and as a photographer.



The link between art, love and photography is simple, photography is a form of art and art is in the eye of the beholder, just like love.

Each love is different and dependent on the perspective of those who experience it; no love is the same, it’s also a raw example of social constructionism, because even if your love of this person and that person is different, so is your love for the same person at different stages in life.


And art is the same, you might view a piece of art at different eras of your life, but how it makes you feel differs according to what you’re going through at the moment and who you’re with.

So I guess even love is a form of art. But..... doesn’t that make life a form of art, too?