The Weight of Switching: On Being a Woman Made of Several Languages



In Cairo, I sit in a client meeting translating in real time: English into Arabic, Arabic back into English, and somewhere underneath both, a third, unofficial language: the Egyptian Arabic I actually think in, which fits neither box cleanly. 

My mouth moves between three registers in the space of a single sentence.

No one in the room notices the switch.

To them, it sounds seamless.

Inside my head, it feels like running up three flights of stairs at once.

This is the part of being multilingual that rarely makes it into the language-learning apps or the “5 benefits of bilingualism” listicles: the sheer physical labor of it.

Not the beauty, though there is beauty, but the cost.

The half-second lag before a word arrives.

The sentence you start in one language and finish, almost involuntarily, in another.

The exhaustion of being legible to everyone and fully yourself to almost no one.

Multilingualism is often romanticized as fluid, effortless, a kind of linguistic superpower.

Rarely is it described the way those who actually live inside several languages experience it: as a constant, quiet act of translation, not just of words, but of self.

“People assume that because I speak four languages, I always know exactly what I mean to say,” says Rana, a conference interpreter based in Amman who grew up speaking Arabic at home, French at school, and English with her cousins abroad.

“The truth is the opposite.

Sometimes I know exactly what I mean in French, and I have no idea how to say it in Arabic, not because I forgot the word, but because the feeling itself doesn’t fully exist in both languages the same way.”

This asymmetry is something almost every multilingual person recognizes and almost no monolingual person expects.

Some words simply don’t survive the crossing.

Ya rait carries a particular ache that “I wish” flattens on arrival.

Homesick implies a sickness English speakers assume is temporary; ghorba, the word many Arabic speakers use instead, implies something closer to a permanent condition of the soul.

“I didn’t choose to be someone who thinks in two rhythms at once,” says Tariq, a translator living in London who moved from Beirut a decade ago.

“But somewhere along the way, I stopped seeing it as a burden and started seeing it as a kind of hospitality.

When I switch into someone’s language, even imperfectly, I’m telling them: I made room for you.

I didn’t ask you to make all the room for me.”

Perhaps this is the quieter gift hidden inside the exhaustion: that every act of switching, however small, is also an act of respect.

To speak someone’s language, even haltingly, is to hand them something most people never think to offer: the discomfort of trying, on their behalf.

I think about this every time I move between a translation project, a phone call with my mother, and a text message to a friend abroad: three different versions of my own voice, none of them lesser than the others.

I used to think fluency meant erasing the seams between my languages, until I met people from all over the world who told me the seams were the most familiar thing about me.

A Sudanese friend recognized the particular loneliness of thinking in one language and dreaming in another.

A Filipino colleague understood exactly what I meant when I said some feelings only make sense in the language they were first felt in.

Maybe that’s the real inheritance of growing up between languages: not fluency, but familiarity with the in-between.

And maybe that in-between, as exhausting as it is, is also where the truest kind of understanding happens: not despite the effort of translation, but because of it.