Dedicated to Malak Galal | September's Editor's Note: Identity & Roots


Dear readers and friends,


As we return from our hiatus and as sugarfreetalks turns eight today, I dedicate this month's edition to Malak Galal, founder of Writer's Hub, writer, and, most importantly, my good friend whom I miss a lot. May her soul rest in eternal peace, inshaalah.


Malak wasn't just a writer and entrepreneur; she could have easily created a business for profit; she had the talent for it, but she chose to form Writer's Hub and help fellow writers. She helped them find jobs, gave them a platform, and for me personally, she has always encouraged and pushed me to be better at my craft. I believe that without her constant belief in my capabilities, I would've given up on sugarfreetalks a long time ago, and I am always thankful to her for coming into my life when she did. 


sugarfreetalks' first on-ground event was a collab with Writer's Hub and others. A collab that didn't need sugarfreetalks. A collab that Malak recommended us for. I remember being so adamant, talking to her on the phone about how I have no experience with on-ground events and galleries. I was so worried about failure. She promised to help me where I needed help, and she did. 


It was a charity event, and Malak made sure to look for a charity that truly needed the donations; none of those big names, but still a reputable place. She spent so long looking for the perfect place and taking everyone's recommendations. It was one of the happiest moments of my career as founder of sugarfreetalks, giving away the money we helped raise for a good cause and people who really needed it. 


Malak is one of the few people who was truly true to herself; with creative communities, it is easy to stray from who you are and forget your roots, but Malak never did. She taught me that it was okay to be different, and in a world where everyone was so focused on nonchalance, she taught me that it's okay to care, that being passionate about what you do, constantly working hard, and putting in the effort is the true gift. Her grit has always been something I was jealous of; she was always my target and idol in our field. 


Malak isn't only my friend; she is a mentor and a guide. She has been my horizon and my benchmark, and she always will be.


This September edition of sugarfreetalks, and these eight years we've spent creating it, would not have come to be if it weren't for Malak Galal. We dedicate this month's edition, about Identity and Roots, to her. And, in many ways, we dedicate the years behind us and the years ahead to her, too.


Lastly, to my friend Malak: I hope my love and prayers could reach you in heaven, and I wish you knew how much you mean to me and how profoundly you changed my life.


Loving you, always and forever,

nour.