When I Understood Love



When I was younger,
the look of Love felt different.
As I looked at him, 
he seemed innocent.
I never doubted his methods.
I trusted them wholeheartedly.
As I grew, Love became mysterious
like a plan I was never made aware of.
At some point, I had to face him 
head on with fear seeping in my being
but his smile alone 
reassured me into caving.
I felt Love of no bounds.
It was heavy yet weighted like air.
It was wondrous yet so blinding.
It was free yet painful.
I relied on Love
a little too much, I admit.
I saw it as my cure for all
despite not being my all for one.
I used to view him as
a simple painting of a state.
What state?
A motionless moving state.
State of what?
State of matter.
State of mind.
State of soul.
With my first battle with Love,
I understood how complexly 
and utterly wrong I was.
Love was a canvas of colliding colours
taking the form of all shapes 
and noises to be heard.
It was a street in the middle 
of a forest quietly loud.
Love was not an entity.
Love was not a person.
Love was a living
language yet extinct.
Love was a room echoed
and steep with objects.
Love was a word spoken 
yet never said out loud.
It lived in everything 
yet stayed in nothing.
It was a rhythm of 
unsettled notes and chords.
I looked into Love’s eyeless stare 
and smiled sadly.
I knew I would never understand it
but it would always understand me.
I fell in love with Love 
and fantasized silently.
A curve stitched on my face
unknowingly looking forward to feeling.
Love was a cursed nothing
yet everything 
that I didn’t know if I wanted 
or needed to stay away from. 
All I knew is that I would find it 
and once again,
find my heart beating with
the lonely happiness of feeling.