A message to my grieving friend

 



 

The situation makes me helpless

your whole world changed in an instant

brringing them back would be

the cure to your illness

Three wishes would be all it takes

to see your smile again

Heart break, heart ache are all I feel

as the sound of your cries fills the air

helplessness surrounds me

as darkness fills the world around me

 

Zoning out to dream of them

makes my hug to you feel empty

The sadness of your soul

takes the light from your eyes

The sound of your heart cracking like glass

fills the room at the utterance of their name

Fun is no longer fun, but taboo

The food you love is no longer your wish

Invisible string ties my hands together in a knot

 

 

Words become double-edged

They could cure or add to the pain

Life becomes harder to discuss

like a stage shining a spot light

At the part that will never return

I say: “It’s gonna be fine,”

but at night you lay in bed, awake

with a pillow wet with tears

and sadness that will never go away

 

 

I try to lift you up,

but the weight of your sorrow

is greater than anyone could lift

I am in a maze

and at the finish line is your happiness

In your sorrow, in your content look beside you

and there you’ll find me, my friend.